Search This Blog

Monday 31 January 2011

Disappointments...

In my 32 years I've had some disappointments.

First up, I was rather hoping the Millennium bug was going to wipe my credit cards clean. It didn't.

Around the same time I eagerly anticipated the return of the Star Wars franchise. I was expecting the greatest cinematic experience of my life. I got the Phantom Menace.

On New years day I awoke to discover Jon "The Beast" Parkin had been sold by my beloved Preston North End. Not the way to start a new year.

However one of the biggest disappointments happened last summer, and it wasn't me ending my career as a teacher. No, it happened on a field in Croydon of all places.

Earlier that summer I'd witnessed Stevie Wonder's triumphant headline slot at Glastonbury. I found it magical and the scene was set for me to bask in the music of another legend of the Motown roster; Martha Reeves.

Let me just set the scene. We were in Croydon at a free festival featuring Captain Sensible and The Lightning Seeds. (On the tube to Croydon, I was sat next to a woman and got talking. She told me her brother was playing at the festival. In my head I pictured the bass player with some local band etc. I politly asked the name of the band, promising i'd go and check them out. "Oh he's Ian Brodie, he's the singer with the Lightning Seeds" - Oh. As it happened they were pretty good, its amazing how many great pop songs he's written).

However it was the prospect of seeing Martha live that was the main draw for me. (Love like a) Heatwave is in my top 10 songs of all time. However, I was building myself up for a mighty topple.

I was expecting a female Stevie, I got a club singer. Unlike Stevie, there was no band, Martha sang along to a backing tape. Also unlike Stevie, that beautiful voice was no longer there. The acoustics were awful and the sound seamed to drown in the field. I felt like crying.

That said she still ramains one of my favourite recording artists of all time. As sick boy rightly points out in Trainspotting. You've got it then you lose it.

One of the most surprising aspects of the day was also the fact I had to explain to people who she was!

I conducted a little experiment recently. I asked a few friends if they could name more than 1 Ray Charles song. No one could.

I then asked them if they could tell me who sang "Jimmy Mack", "Dancing in the streets", "Nowhere to run" and "Heatwave". Also no one could. All instantly recognisable classics yet no one knew it was Martha who made them famous.

Interesting results I'm sure you'll agree. I'm making it a personal mission to raise Martha's profile and will be regularly dropping her songs at Odder on a Sunday.


Keep the Faith.

Click on the Link to get get a Martha Playlist on spotify.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Tobin
    This Matt from our trip around Australia all those years ago. Are you receiving this?

    ReplyDelete